.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Raring To Go

Following elements of the 112th Armor as they serve in Afghanistan.

Blogroll Me!
Name:
Location: East Texas, Texas, United States

Civilian Teacher of social studies, military infantryman/tanker and soon to be MP (blech)

Saturday, August 06, 2005

Why?

My unit has deployed to Farah, Afghanistan in support of Operation Enduring Freedom VI. We provide the security element for the Provincial Reconstruction Team in that western province. It is my first deployment in the, almost, 14 years that I have been in the military.
It is somewhat daunting to think that I am in a place where there are people that actively want to hurt me…even kill me; and where I might be in a position where I will have to take the life of another human being. It scares me to think about these things. Will I be able to shoot at another person with the intention of killing them? Or will that be just too easy? Which would be worse: to not shoot and possibly allow one of my buddies to die, or to feel no remorse for the life that I have just taken? I almost pray that I will never have to find out.
How did I get here? How did I end up in this situation?
I am an American Soldier. That says a lot, but it does not begin to scratch the surface of who I am. In coming here, I had to leave behind my family, and a job that I loved, teaching. There are hundreds of reasons that I should not have left, and damned few why I should, so why did I leave?
There are trite answers to that question. My nation called. I volunteered for the service. Love of Country, adventure, excitement…but these are not good reasons. Oh, they are all true…they are all applicable…but they are not the whole story.
For most of my life, there has been only one thing that I wanted to do…to be a Soldier. I could not truly explain why, but I knew that that was my calling. I thought, for many years, that I wanted to be an officer. For a brief time, I was. Now I know that the manner of my serving matters very little, I just want to serve. The simplest answer, and the only one that makes sense, or truly matters is thus: I serve, because that’s who I am.
There is no greater service, than to protect those you love. GK Chesterton once said, "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." - ILN, 1/14/11
In March 2005, I left my family, everyone that I loved. I left a teaching position and students that I cared for to come here. Why? Because I wanted to get away? Because I wanted a change of pace? No…not even close. I left because I love them, and because I want to protect them, and the best way to ensure that our enemy does not get a free hand in attacking those we love back home, is to bring the fight to their homes. Is it working? I dunno, I’m not a policy analyst, nor a strategist. I’m a simple Soldier, doing a job. It is what I do. It is who I am.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, Mr. R...I miss you so much! I wish that you were here...to teach us American History...school starts next week, on the 15th. I miss our weird classroom debates. And our off topic conversations. Somehow most of the time, even when we were fooling around, we always got our work done...haha. It amazes me. I think because it was everyone respects you because you respect us. I can't WAIT until you get back. You're doing SUCH a great job over there...it's great that you're doing this for us. You've been such a great teacher all last year, and I want to thank you for everything you've ever done for me. On top of being a great teacher, you're also a great person. So thanks, Mr. R, for protecting my country. *hugs*

08 August, 2005 07:56  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tootle says:

I just wanted to say thank you, but as I sit here emotional with tears, that doesn't seem like enough. Your service and love is so appreciated. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. As school begins Monday we will all be thinking of you and praying for you. Keep posting as you can, it makes us feel like we can touch you. Thank you, thank you!

12 August, 2005 19:51  

Post a Comment

<< Home