.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Raring To Go

Following elements of the 112th Armor as they serve in Afghanistan.

Blogroll Me!
Name:
Location: East Texas, Texas, United States

Civilian Teacher of social studies, military infantryman/tanker and soon to be MP (blech)

Friday, May 20, 2005

The Big City

Today I went "outside the wire" for the first time. We went into the provincial capital...it was a study in contrasts. The roads make the tank trails at Ft. Hood look like German Autobahns...most of the construction is mud bricks...apparently when vehicles break down, rather than repair them, they are stripped for parts and left in place...old Soviet vehicles are everywhere...

But...everywhere there are signs of new construction and growth...shops are open -- everywhere! The children are friendly as all get-out...waving to us as we drive by and crowding around us for candy and water and whatever-they-can-get. Even the teenagers and adults came up to us to try and chat. The language barrier reared its ugly head, but most of them seemed to be trying to learn English, and I will attempt to learn a bit of Farsi, as it is common to both the dialects spoken in this area (Dari and Pashto).

I will try to get some pictures of the scenery and post them, as well as more descriptions of the landscape soon.

God Bless

Mik

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Mik said...

We're never alone...and our biggest prob has been more kids than we have candy for!

We will always be careful and watch each others backs.

I love you too!

20 May, 2005 07:17  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must report that among the big pine trees you are missed. I had to step in and find new volunteers for flag duty but we are putting them up correctly and with the respect you taught. It's plenty shady here, I bet you wish you had a shade tree or two there. Be well and, as always, watch your "six".

20 May, 2005 22:07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds awesome. It's nice that they're not racist against you or anything. I can't wait to see ya next year...we all miss you SO much...and it's amazing that your wife and kids are dealing with this...I'm sure they miss you alot, too. Cinnamon, you can come visit us anytime! We'll talk to you! Well, I'm out...gonna go eat a graham cracker with peanut butter. ^_^ Much love.

24 May, 2005 02:34  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, that sounds Very interesting I have always had this thing for strange languages lol =0) You are a fast learner,very smart im sure when you come back you will be able to speak some of there language to us? That would be neat. It is pretty hot down here 2, but im cold natured so I love the heat LOVE. I know im going to enjoy this summmer, I hope you are safe, The more you talk about your Job and enviroment the more I am likeing it. What a adventure it sounds like, and must be. we all miss you alot.We have yet to find a teacher as brilliant as you, and it is a shame that you will never be my teacher again lookin on the bright side, atleast your be in etoile, I Will see u in the mornings, anyways If I was there and people started surrounded me like cinnamon said I would be paranoid for sure. That would freak me out. BE CAREFULL. Your not dum though im sure you take all your precations to there fullest extentions.well Love yuh

>< Nikki ><
Ps: We have a new thing, " sniffin Dr.pepper fuems haha!!! >>Sniff><

24 May, 2005 18:36  

Post a Comment

<< Home