.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Raring To Go

Following elements of the 112th Armor as they serve in Afghanistan.

Blogroll Me!
Name:
Location: East Texas, Texas, United States

Civilian Teacher of social studies, military infantryman/tanker and soon to be MP (blech)

Saturday, June 25, 2005

Bad habits...

Well, I have pondered this before, but have now finally decided to set fingers to keyboard about it.

Many of you have either taken, or know someone who has taken a defensive driving course. I know I have....once or thrice or thereabouts. Anyhow, you know the rules of defensive driving, be alert, be prepared to yield the right-of-way, maintain distance, yadda yadda yadda.

Well, let me tell you that those rules do not in anyway, shape or form govern the driving habits of American military vehicles, especially our beloved up-armored Humvees. First of all, these are five-ton monsters armed with either a heavy machine gun or automatic grenade launcher...they are not going to be defensive.

You've heard the saying: "As a matter of fact, I do own the road." Here, it is true. Driving in A'stan is somewhat like driving in Rome, only moreso. What I mean is you have to be prepared to gun the engine and pray that everyone else is either smart or lucky enough to clear the road for you. Of course, most people, when they see a lumbering behemoth with a big gun on top roaring at them, and backed by one or more others....the road clears quickly.

Don't worry that we are being arrogant and overbearing to the locals when we do this...they drive the same way, and follow the old rule of "he who has the biggest and baddest vehicle has the right-of-way."

These driving habits are survival traits here, but I wonder...if after a year of driving like this, how will I be in my itty bitty Saturn Ion...I think that I will notice enough of a difference to amend my driving habits; but we got a lot of good ol'boys that drive their big trucks in this unit too...and they might not notice enough of a difference.

So consider this your fair warning, when we redeploy...watch out!!!

Mik

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home